Let’s face it; painting is a fun art activity. It always has been, and it likely always will be. However, parents don’t know how to get started with painting even though they have the time and desire to do so. Let’s change that! These 12 easy painting ideas for kids will get you and your child started in no time. Above all, they’re guaranteed to leave your child feeling inspired and excited about painting, too!
The Benefits of Painting For Kids
Painting is one of the most well-liked forms of art, and for a good reason. It can be done by anyone and at any age. It doesn’t require expensive materials or complicated techniques, making it accessible to everyone. Another great thing about painting for kids is that it’s a great way to make them think creatively. By getting them to empty their minds and think imaginatively, they’ll actually be strengthening their brains as well.
Some other benefits kids can gain from painting include:
- Artistic Expression – Kids are naturally artistic and yearn to be creative. Painting helps them do just that. It also helps them establish their own sense of creativity right at a young age so that they understand that doing something new and different is something to be celebrated, not belittled.
- Accelerated Development – The reason why kids paint is that it’s fun. This means that it’ll motivate them to learn more about their artistic capability and keep them engaged for a long time. One way this happens is through developing fine motor skills, which are the ones used to paint on the canvas.
- Sense of Well-Being – Give your child a canvas and some paint, and they’re guaranteed to create something beautiful for you to enjoy and admire. Watching them feel accomplished and proud of their artwork will make you feel great, too!
- Emotional Control – Painting requires your child to put their feelings into their artwork. This will help them control their feelings and make sure that they don’t get out of hand. It also helps them understand how to express themselves better emotionally as they get older, which is an important life skill.
So What Do Children Use for Painting
Now that you learn the benefits let’s talk about the materials you’ll need to get your child started painting. There are several simple, diverse materials that you can use for both beginners and experts alike. They include:
There are tons of different kinds of paint for kids to try out. This is because each kind is made with different colors and textures, making them perfect for different ages of children. You can start with watercolors, tempera, acrylics, or finger paints.
Types of Paints:
- Acrylic Paint /Craft Paint – This type of paint is usually pretty basic and smooth. They’re great for craft projects and art activities, which is why they make a great choice for kids just getting started with painting. Keep in mind that these paints are permanent, so once dried, they don’t wash off.
- Watercolor Paint – Watercolors are a popular form of paint that can come in both liquid and solid forms. Many people love using them because they’re very versatile and allow you to change the amount of water you use to dilute the color and intensity.
- Tempera Paint – It is quite similar to acrylic paint but is washable. Use these paints for simple projects where the longevity of the colors doesn’t matter.
- Food Coloring -It is another cheap and easy-to-use item for kids to use for painting. You may use it to create ice paints, bath paints, and DIY sidewalk chalk/paint.
- Washable Paints – as the name suggests, these paints can be washed off relatively easily from surfaces. They are also non-toxic, making them a popular choice for kids in the early stages of painting.
You can use a variety of brushes to create different looks. You can use brushes made from synthetic hair if your children are just starting, so they don’t end up ruining their brushes faster than expected. Use sable hair brushes for oil paints instead to make sure that you get the best results possible.
12 Easy and Fun Painting Ideas For Kids
The following 12 easy painting ideas for kids are perfect if your child is just starting and getting used to using paints. They’re also great if you have no clue where to start with a new canvas or don’t have time to devote to complicated techniques.
1. Rose Art Watercolor Painting Idea
When it comes to watercolor painting, you can’t get much simpler than this. Roses are extremely easy to paint, too, since all your child need is to draw a rose on watercolor paper and then fill it where they want to. It’s just as easy as coloring in a coloring book! If your child has never painted before, this is the perfect painting project for them. You may learn the step-by-step process by visiting Rhythms of Play.
2. Fork Tulips: Painting Crafts for Kids
A fork is not only used as an eating tool; it can be used as paints tools. It is extremely easy to create Fork Tulips Painting with your kids. All you need to do is dip the backside of the fork in the paint; then, you have to press down on the paper to make the tulip impression; after that, wipe the fork with towels and repeat with different colors. It is one of the easiest painting ideas for kids to try. This is how you paint Fork Tulip Art. If you want more details about this craft project, click here.
3. Footprint Rocket
Rocket is the ideal theme for boys’ painting because it is beautiful and full of visual impact. Footprint rocket is also simple to make and a great gift for Father’s Day. You only need to have these materials like white cardstock, non-toxic acrylic paint, and some gold glitter stars, and you can have a rocket ready for flight. This is how you make Footprint Rocket.
4. Sun and Moon Watercolor Project
This is another easy painting idea for kids. This project is an interesting way to discover the contrast between warm and cool colors. In order to start, follow some steps to draw the smiling sun and moon faces. Then, using watercolors and oil pastels, create colorful and bright watercolor resist art. This is an entertaining project for little and big children alike! You may check more details at Make and Takes.
5. Colorful Q-tip Painted Dragonfly Craft
Children will have fun and excitement with this summer-inspired painting idea. Use cardstock to cut out some dragonfly shapes. Then get your children to paint in their own designs with a dotting method using q-tips and various colored paints. You may click here for the step-by-step instructions.
6. Leaf Painting
There are various ways you can create art with leaves. Leaf painting is a simple and fun activity for children of all ages. By visiting The Best Ideas for Kids, you will discover a few techniques for leaf painting that you can try with your little ones.
7. Squirt Gun Painting Art Project
Squirt Gun Painting Art Project is a fun summer painting idea for children and is sure to be a hit! Provide some water guns and mix in some acrylic paints and water for an enjoyable afternoon painting outdoors. Add this fun painting activity to your collection of art projects to try.
8. Spin Painting with Kids
Spin painting activities are one of the coolest ways to paint with kids. All you need is to provide them with a salad spinner and a variety of paint colors and watch them go! It’s that easy. For the full details on how to set up one of these fun spin painting art stations, click here.
9. Make Rainbows with Scraper Art
Scraper art is a fun way to encourage children to use their imagination while creating unique and colorful pieces of art with paint. Using a variety of colors and patterns, your kids can create beautiful pieces that look like rainbows. If you want to learn more about this easy painting idea, visit Artful Parent.
10. Window Painting
This unorthodox painting idea uses washable paint on a window and is an excellent rainy day activity. In order to do this activity, you may use masking tape to give your children canvas on your window and let kids enjoy painting it. If you want to learn about this idea, you may visit What We Do All Day.
11. How To Paint Fireflies And Mason Jar
Have you or your little child ever wanted to learn how to paint a mason jar with lightning bugs? This painting tutorial will show you how to create a beautiful scene with fireflies and a mason jar! This is an easy painting idea to have fun with your kids.
12. Painting a Butterfly
This is another fun, easy painting idea for kids. Kids often imagine that butterflies are yellow and black but are bright and colorful. Getting your kids to paint a butterfly from this perspective may be a little harder. Follow the step-by-step instructions on Feeling Nifty to show your children how to create some brilliant butterfly art!
In Baby Steps Daycare, we constantly encourage our parents and staff to try new things with their kids. Many of the activities we have mentioned are a great way to get children excited about painting. They are very educational and encourage creativity in little ones. We hope these ideas help you to get your child more excited about painting. If you like the list, please take the time to share this list with your friends!
If you want to learn more about NY Baby Steps and its amazing facility, please give us a call. We would love to hear from you! Did we miss any great painting ideas you have tried with your child? Please let us know in the comments so we can include them on our blog!